Logo

Starting Problem 1978 60 hp

waz57

Contributing Member
Hi I have a 1978 Mariner 60hp and it has a starting issue. Once you get it to start its fine but say 2 weeks after use, it takes 5 minutes to start. I have played with this for hours and having two spare motors I have plenty of spares to swap and use.

Eventually I thought lets try disconnecting the fuel line after use. So what I do is snap on the fuel line and pump the plunger and say 30 seconds later she has started and is running.

So what I am interested in does anyone else have the problem

Re: Starting Problem

You need to check out the starting system / choke set-up.-----You are following instructions in the owners manual ?-------------Perhaps a wrong starting procedure on your part.----------Most outboards start easily unless there is something wrong or the wrong procedure is used.---------Sorry to be so blunt.

Yeah no problem. I have all the boxes checked but the fuel seems to drain from the carbys back into the fuel filter

How old is the primer pump in the fuel line? Another trick I was told about with them is to make sure they are installed upright. If they are left flat the valve may not shut completely allowing the fuel to run back to the tank.

Yep problem solved it was a faulty pump and yes it has to be upright to stop the fuel slipping back to the tank.

I fail to understand how fuel can go backwards through a needle and seat to return to the tank!

Jeff

That would be pretty difficult. The valve in the fuel pump (or primer bulb) in the fuel line between the tank and the engine doesn't always seal if it isnt upright.

Yep I know it sounds impossible but when I haven't started it for a few days or weeks I connect the lone to the front connection and then pump the bulb and she starts after 3 or 4 turns of the motor. All it took was a new Bulb and disconect the connection after use, so go figure ? All i kno wnow it works and runs a treat. My next project is finding a container to use at home to run and test the motor. I have in mind an IBC, I would cut the aluminum frame and the plastic giving the motor a 1000 mm length and a 900 width height would be trial and error. Anyone have any ideas ??

Oh. I saw one the other day on what looked to be about 200hp outboard. No good though if it gets up close and personal with the prop.

Yeah Jeff I have the muffs and a silencer but wanted to find a quite solution as these Old Mariners are noisy

Wazza

I actually bought a silencer from Boat & Bits it reduces the sound a lot and gives the effect to the motor as if its in water so you can adjust the carbys etc. I might just have to give up on the idea and settle to what have. Pity I thought that a lot of people would be interested but I'm pretty intense when I do something too.

Back