Logo

Starting hard

Draker

I have a chaparral with a mercruiser 470, it is really sluggish when starting, almost like battery is dead, but its a new battery. After a few trys it turns over quicker and starts, could it be the ignition coil or silonoid?

could be but I'd check the battery cables at both ends (4 total) for excessive voltage drop. could also be the engine is worn and approaching rebuild time...

Your going to find that engine is always gonna be a byatch to start.

But maybe we can help you make it a little easier.

1- Your starter the old type or new type ? New type uses less juice, just a better starter.

2' Your idle circuit clean in the carb ?

3- Choke working correctly ? Should be closed when cold. Choke should open all the way when hot.

4- Fuel pressure? What is the pump giving you in psi ? 4-7 no less no more.

5- Spark ? Your engine has the crank mounted gen ? I consider that a gen not a alternator. There are upgrade kits to do away with the old style gen and install a modern alt. You have a good spark to the plugs ?

Dist., wires... was going to put this under spark then thought ignition, i left it in the middle. Points good, wires good, no play in the dist. shaft ? Wiggle the shaft if there's wiggle it got to go. Also you got to gap the points every year, and lightly sand em'.

6- Ignition ! We need good juice starting from the battery with good cables, no green ends under the rubber ! We need a good ground to the block on the neg side !

Disconnect the battery cables, follow the cable to each juncture and remove and clean shiny all connections, including the starter.
The main barrel plug held together with a spring clip , take it apart look in the holes, green is bad. Clean it up, I actually went straight with the wires and took the barrel plug completely out. It's what i did i'm not telling you to do it, it's WHAT I DID WITH MY BOAT.

How to run a carbed engine : Post #7
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?t=380996

Last edited:
Back