Logo

Starter spring 1986 Mercury 4.5 HP

JonT

Hi, I got a 1986 Mercury that came with a lose starter assembly , are there any smart way to tighten the spring again ? The starter are installed in the top of the cowl with one "bolt" with a slott at the end that goes trough the top of the cowl , i figured out that i can tighten the spring by turning the bolt whit a flathead scewdriver while holding the nut that holds it in place with a open wrench, but the spring jumps off the litle notch that holds back the spring every time i start to get the spring tight.

That's exactly what I do but I sit the assembly on top of a paint
Can or something like that while pushing down on the assembly
And turning the slot and locking it with the lock washer with each
pass so I can rest. Then I grit my teeth for one last turn while holding
it down. Then lock it in place.
Not fun but gets the job done.
Also I remove all the grease making sure the spring is dry that way
it turns smoother.
Not sure if that's correct but works for me.

Thank you then i was on the right path :) i had a close look at the spring now and it's rusty and may be broken, i will try to find a pick of a fresh one to compare.

One more question . Do you have the puller rope on when tighening the spring ? Seem hard to put it in after, i was thinking of having it on and making a knot and pull the rope out a bit when i put on the handle.

Last edited:
Yes
The entire assembly is intact. Pushing down on the assembly and holding it
Keeps all the parts sandwiched together including
The spring.
It takes me several times to get the tab inside the spring
before I get it.
Grit your teeth while doing this.
Easier with two people.

The starter ropes are better quality now....go to your local small engine shop and get the black/ blue one. I use these on my bigger chain saws.....Stihl 440's and up to the 880.

timguy, thank's for the advice , i will drop by a chain saw dealer in the same area that i work, i need a rope for my old Evinrude too.

Back