Logo

starter on johnson 15hp

rohan2

I am really getting to the age where pulling the rope is not helping my health. LOL. I was wondering if I can install a starter on my 81 Johnson 15 HP? I see one in the parts manual. But it covers several years. Just want make sure sure before I go ordering stuff.. And do I need to change the flywheel if a starter will fit?
Thanks,

You will need a different flywheel unless yours has 2 ring gears on it now , one for the recoil and one for the electric start.------Need an intake cover as well for the starter mount.

Thank you very much for the info. Will I need a starter bracket ? Intake cover for the carb? Do you have the part numbers for these items?
You have surely been a great help me to.
Many thanks

The electric start models have a different intake / bypass cover ( incorporates the starter bracket )-----This will be expensive and E-bay may be a scource for used parts.------I have a bunch but will not ship.---Part #'s and prices are found at the top of this page.

If you could walk over here I would sell you one.-----------------Posting your location is important !!---------In the past I have dropped parts off when folks happen to live on a route that I travel on a regular basis too.

I live in Jacksonville, FL and have tried many marine salvage yards and of coarse ebay, CL, ect......I am having difficulty locating the bypass cover and fuel pump bracket (new style) to move it out of the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i am still in the hunt for a electric start bypass cover for my 15hp johnson, i have the flywheel needed but can not locate the cover anywhere, going crazy.

The post office has " Large Flat Rate shipping" boxes available at every post office. These boxes are approximately (1 foot square) and you can ship anything up to 50 pounds to anywhere in the US for $15.00...the typical arrival time is 2-3 days.

Back