Logo

starter buttton wiring

jslaughter

I have a 1987 evinrude 9.9 E10ECUE. I have a two prong push start button with a hot wire running from the starter to the switch and a hot wire from the other side of the switch to the battery, then the ground from the motor straight to the battery. Tied into the hot wire from the switch to the battery i have an in-line fuse. i tried to start it with a 20 fuse as soon as it started to turn it blew the fuse, so i tried a 25 fuse and the same thing. did i wire things up wrong? why does it keep blowing the fuse? I also have 12 gauge wire run, should i have used 10 gauge?

Wire 14 ga. wire from the battery + terminal to the PB switch and from the PB switch to the small + terminal on the solenoid. Small negative terminal side is grounded to the engine block. Run a battery cable from the battery to one side of the large top studs. Run another battery cable from the other large stud to the starter + stud.

will the 12ga wire i have work or do i have to have 14? and when you say battery cable what gauge are you talking about. no mistakes this time i want to make sure its right.

We are talking 9.9hp here right? Actually, the factory used 10 GA. And no solenoid or fuse. Heavy duty push button switch able to handle the amps. Starter draws 7 amps with no load, a lot more when cranking the engine. Be sure you run a wire from the red rectifier lead to the battery side of the start button. That allows the alternator to "see" the battery to charge it.

Last edited:
Basically, if you have a 60 amp push button you have it wired correctly except you do need to use at least 10 guage wire and get rid of the fuse. Also if you still have the neutral start switch you need to wire that in also. The 60 amp push button is the solenoid on the 9.9 and 15 hp motors.

Im eventually going to buy all the parts that belong on the motor but I dont have the money right now cause all the stuff I need is expensive so im trying to go a cheaper route. I think im just going to wire in a solenoid and use that until I get all the original parts thank yall for the help ill let yall know if I have success!

Im going to wire it like kim said to do with the solenoid. I dont have a neutral safety swith or a 60 amp switch but this is all good info for the future!

Back