Logo

Starboard side exhaust manifold ,1986 omc cobra gm 4.3l I O

Squire

My question is will a 1988 omc cobra gm 4.3l io starboard side exhaust manifold fit my 1986 and if so what gasket # will i need ? Thanks

It should, they are the one-piece manifold/elbow units, the gasket on between the cyl head and the manifold is the standard gasket for the 4.3. I used to have those on my engine but have since upgraded to the 2 piece center riser style since the one piece batwings have been NLA for over 10 years.

they are the one-piece manifold/elbow units,

Ayuh,.... I know Lou, 'n I have had this conversation before, 'n Lou was incredibly Lucky with his,.... But,....

There were core shifting problems with those 1 piece manifolds, both OMC, 'n Merc, which lead to super thin castings,....

I personally know of 3 motors Destroyed by them,.....

Run 'em if you dare, but the 2 piece conversions are worth the money to save the cost of a new motor,....

4.3 Center Riser Exhaust Conversion.jpg
Agreed, I was lucky and used em in salt water as well. In order to switch over, you need the Barr OMC/Volvo V6 manifold/elbow set plus the Volvo Penta 90* exhaust pipes that adapt the 4" elbow hose to the 3.5" OMC Y pipe. You can get GLM copies of those Volvo parts ( the V/P parts are like $200 each, plus the hoses and clamps) I can't vouch for the quality of the GLM stuff but the V/P stuff I used fits like factory, and works perfect. Since I'm in salt we are used to spending big $$$ every 7 years or so for new exhaust so I didn't mind spending more on the V/P stuff because that allows me to use the easy to find Barr aftermarket stuff for any future changes I might have to do....In the pic above you can see the V/P exhaust adapters that were used by both OMC and Volvo, now sold only by Volvo.....

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.volvopentastore.com/Exhaust/dm/cart_id.166729116--session_id.735132910--store_id.366--view_id.791178

here's a link to the volvo parts you'd need, it is pricey but I can tell you for sure, they fit and work like factory...I was thinkin' of trying to do a Merc Dry Joint conversion, since its really a better system, but was not sure if it would really fit or not...so...for now...I can just pick up a set of the Barrs for my next replacement...much cheaper than any other alternative...
BTW, I had 3 sets of Bat Wings on my old engine...it came with a set that was original to the boat...in 2002...swapped those in '04....swapped those in '11....then converted in '17....
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back