Logo

Stalls When Shifted into Gear. Forward & Reverse 1973 65HP

chrisjt

When at idle motor runs well. Was on the water to test motor, Surprise! When shifting into gear, forward or reverse stalls. Not sure where to begin? When tested on muffs shifting was fine. Don't understand?

On a flushette, that engine running on 2 cylinders would sound good to the untrained ear.

What are the compression psi readings of the individual cylinders?

With all spark plugs removed, the spark must jump a 7/16" air gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

Your compression readings are about average... and if you actually checked the spark with a 7/16" air gap, that's fine also. Spark plugs should be gaped at either .030 (long life) or .040 (strongest spark). What make and type spark plugs are you using?.... Recommended is Champion QL77JC4 plugs.

While running at a rpm whereas it will stay running, do a drop test... removing the spark plug wire, one at a time and comparing the drop in rpms/performance to see if all 3 cylinders are identical... or not!

On a flushette, that engine (20" shaft) should idle at 1000 rpm.

When one has compression and ignition/spark as you state, The problem is usually due to a fouled carburetor which requires removing, cleaning, and rebuilding as needed with a complete kit available at this site. The drop test (above) should reveal which carburetor if you decide to just rework one and not all.

The idle is set as follows: Back the idle stop screw away from its stop... adjust the idle via the threaded trunion on the throttle cable at its clamped in location... then screw the idle stop screw in just so it touches its stop so as not to lower due to engine vibration. Usually the idle will vary (increase) due to play in the control box as the throttle is increased and returned to its idle setting, and resetting the idle becomes a 2 or 3 time process via the threaded trunion. Just stick with it.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Thank you for the help. This will take a bit longer. I will share, I hope positive results with you. I think Carbs will need to be rebuilt. Engine sat for 3 years. RE: Carbs is the same rebuild kit used for all 3 Carbs? I looked at the rebuild kits on the site and am unsure. Sincere Thanks

Yes... All three carburetor kits would be identical.

There should be a plate attached to the port side transom bracket with the engine's Model Number and Serial Number on it. Use the Model Number for engine identification when ordering parts. Also list that number here for us to view.

Pertaining to the carburetors..... The brass high speed jet is located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chamber... way behind the drain screw plug. Fuel must flow that jet before it can gain access to any other fuel passageway. Clean that jet "carefully" with a piece of single strand steel wire as solvent just doesn't do that job properly.

Take your time... we're not going anywhere. :)

Evinrude 1973 65 HP Model #65373R
Did a drop test and adjusted idle as recommended. Drop test Middle carb substantial drop. Top carb practically no difference. Bottom no difference got zapped pretty good 3 times, woke right up.
For the heck of it checked compression & spark again: Top 125 / Middle 132 / Bottom 130 Spark very strong! Plugs NKG correct match.
I dis-attached throttle & shift cable, when I tried to put motor in gear manually forward and reverse stalled.
Examined plugs after running: Bottom plug showed very slight to no burn. Middle plug shows lots of burn. Top slight burn. Tried to upload picture of plugs apparently I did something wrong.
Lastly in the process of changing lower end oil.

Back