Logo

Stalling

migimani

Today I took my boat out for the first time since I rebuild my carbs. I started it fine out of the water but as soon as I got it into the water it would die in about 2 to 3 minutes. As soon it was about to die I would choke it and it would rev up. I have no idea why it dies on the water. If someone can please help me out with suggestions. Thanks Oh and it is a 1987 225 evinrude

Have someone pump the fuel primer bulb constantly while underway, acting as a manual fuel pump. If this corrects the problem, then obviously either the fuel pump is faulty, the pressure hose from the crankcase to the pump is broken or disconnected, or a air/fuel leak exist between the fuel pump and the fuel supply.

If when running, the fuel primer bulb tends to contract and go flat, a fuel restriction exists between the bulb and the fuel supply.

Thanks, I'll give it a try but for some reason I think it has to do with either the carb linkage since I did rebuild them or back pressure. I say this because it works fine on ear muffs. Its when it is in the water that she does not work as she should. But thanks for the intel Joereeves!

It ran well until the engine just shut off due to two dirty carbs. I changed everything that came in the carb kit. The only thing I did not do is remove the plug on the bottom of the carb bowl. I found out later that the high speed orifice is behind that plug. I did spray the bowl and blew air in it. So I might have to try to get that screw loose to get to the high speed orifice. Another thing is the nipple that connects the gas hose to the vro-pump came off. I guess the previous owner had it clued because there was clue on the nipple. So they might have been air getting into the fuel line. I am going to check all I just mentioned, I'll keep up******.

Well, the vent is located on the port side and has a screen show I assume it is clear and open. But it does make sense. Thats kimcrwbr1!! Oh i also forgot to mention that I changed all the fuel lines and forgot to clamp them. So I clamped them today and will take the boat out tomorrow to see if that was the problem. Because with ear muffs she runs great, it s when she is in the water she acts up. Also how do you idle the motor? when I choke it to start it up then I lower the choke it still runs at 1500 rpms. I have to physically pull the idle arm where the screw is away from the carbs to lower the idle.

That is what I believe is happing. I have to pull the arm back myself so the rpms could lower down. It might be that I am not turning the right screw. I know it sounds stupid but the diagram mentions different screws around the same area. So I was messing with them and it did go down when turned counter clockwise and speed up when turned clockwise. Anyhow tomorrow I am going to try it in the water and see how she behaves. Thanks for the reply Kimcrwbr1.

Hey kimcrwbr1 thanks for ur input!! I am going to take a look at it tomorrow. I took the boat in the water today and she stills stalls out but it takes a while before she stalls. I have her in gear for about 10 minutes running at about 1200 rpms. Today I made sure all the clamps were tight so that no air is getting into the fuel lines. I found some loose hoses that require to tighten the clamps. I am also going to change the plugs because they have oil all over them. When she was running at 1200 rpms she ran smooth so the problem is when she is idling and to me she is not getting the right amount of fuel to oil mixture or the carbs that I rebuilt are not correct. One more thing I noticed on the carbs. I changed everything that the carb kit came with. The only thing I did not remove was the high speed orifice. I could not get the screw bowl loose. Any suggestions?

Thanks kimcrwbr1, I am getting the new plugs today and as for the sync I was told that if you did not mess with them they should be sync as they were. Don't know how true this information is but I will for sure take a look at the butterflies to make sure they are closed together. Know when idling how should the butterflies be positions. Know as for the high speed orifice if it is clog can that be the problem since it is what makes the fuel go into the intakes?

1987 225hp Evinrude.....

I read over your initial post carefully. If you are saying that the engine runs okay at idle and even at full throttle when in gear BUT dies out after a few minutes, read on...............

That engine has a thick black rubber/foam gasket between the carburetor face plate and the carburetors. If you are running the engine without the face plate altogether OR with the face plate BUT without that thick gasket, therein lies your problem.

I am pretty sure that black gasket is there but it might be worn out. I check crowley marine and that particular piece is no longer made. I am sure I can get it in some local marine shop. I am going to try on monday. Thanks for the reply!!

As far as the carb settings I will take a look at the first then tomorrow "if weather permits" we are currently getting a tropical depression as I am writing on this forum.

Back