Logo

Stalling question please 5.0 Carb

rick3452

Regular Contributor
Greetings everyone.... The engine in question is a 2000 5.0 0M012817 Carb with a
Bravo 3. Boat is running awesome but the last few days on the first start of the day its starts perfectly and I let it warm up a couple of minuites, but then I shift it into reverse, clicks right in but as soon as I try to give it "slight" throttle it stalls. And for the first time yesterday it stalled in the forward postion when I tried to apply throttle.
Once it warms up it NEVER acts up for the rest of the day.
One other thing, yesterday, in anticipation (of stalling) while I was in neutral I tried to give it a couple of quick revs, but it seems to have a flat spot for a milasecond then fine.

Thanks so much for your time............Rick

Change the position of the accellerator pump lever so it provides a longer shot of fuel. What base gasket did you use for the carb? If the idle mixture screw won't adjust properly then it has the wrong base gasket. Some mercarbs require merc. pn: 27-807982...this gasket is about 3/32" thick and has two open barrell holes vs. one large oval opening required by newer mercarbs. Both gaskets are thick compared to other base gaskets.

Last edited:
base gasket # 807982 then adaptor # 807726A then gasket # 861246 Maybe thats why I could not get the new Rochester two barrel to work without loading up and running rough and smoking???
Thanks Rick

You said it is a Mercarb...how many idle mixture screws? 1 or 2? Gasket #861246 is for newer mercarbs. It's loading up because the choke is not set right or the choke heater isn't working. Feel the side of the choke to see if it is getting hot. If it isn't, check for 12 volts at the choke and make sure it is grounded. If it is there then the heater element is burned out. The choke should be closed except for about 3/32" when cold. To start the engine set the mixture screw 1.25 turns CCW from all the way gently CW. Slowly turn it CW until it stumbles and then CCW until it smooths out then continue CCW until it stumbles. Now turn it CW half way between stumble points.

Yes, sorry it is a Mercarb ONE screw, I was refering to the time I tried to replace the Mercarb with a new marine Rochester 2 bl. But it smoked and put soot on the back of the boat. I do think I have my choke set too far open when cold probably more than a 1/4 of an inch....
Thanks...............

TEST: Engine off, throttle cable disconnected, open the choke and look down the carb bore and actuate the throttle. Two streams of gasoline should squirt out of the accelerator ports immediately (as soon as you move the throttle lever on the carb).

If it does not, fix the carb. All the adjustments to the mixture screws will not compensate for an inefficient accelerator pump.

Thanks so much for all the help guys I will try the suggested remedies tommorow.......

Really appreciate your help.......
Rick

Thanks, yes two steady streams of gas, and I adjusted the choke AND my bad, after I put on the new carb I never went back to retorque, one of the nuts was finger tight (or loose).
Thanks again, I will try out today......
Rick

Back