Logo

Speedometer not working after replacement of sterndrive.

DaveG55

Contributing Member
History; Water in out drive ruined gears. Shop located a used drive and installed it. Also had the bellows and water lines replaced while the drive was off. Speedo worked before repairs made and was even reasonably accurate when compared to GPS.
On my test run everything seems to be working well except no speedo. When I pulled the boat I checked the speedo coupler from the transom to the drive and it is firmly connected.
Now I figure it's one of two things. Either the pitot/tube in the drive is clogged or the tube from the transom to the speedo is pinched. Since the "new" drive is used and looks like it lived in the water I'm going to clean the entry hole and maybe blow compressed air through it. To check the thru transom line I thought I might use compressed air there too. I just don't know how high a pressure to use.
So that's my plan, any other suggestions or things to check for?

History; Water in out drive ruined gears. Shop located a used drive and installed it. Also had the bellows and water lines replaced while the drive was off. Speedo worked before repairs made and was even reasonably accurate when compared to GPS.
On my test run everything seems to be working well except no speedo. When I pulled the boat I checked the speedo coupler from the transom to the drive and it is firmly connected.
Now I figure it's one of two things. Either the pitot/tube in the drive is clogged or the tube from the transom to the speedo is pinched. Since the "new" drive is used and looks like it lived in the water I'm going to clean the entry hole and maybe blow compressed air through it. To check the thru transom line I thought I might use compressed air there too. I just don't know how high a pressure to use.
So that's my plan, any other suggestions or things to check for?

Ayuh,... Blow Away from the gauge, towards the pitot,.....

Just an update for future readers. The shop that replaced the drive and bellows put the head of the clamp for the outer end of the exhaust bellows on the wrong side and cut the speedo hose. A small barbed fitting and a couple of tiny zip ties fixed that. When I loosened the bellows clamp to move it the bellows popped off. I eventually got that back on w/o pulling the drive but it was a huge PITA.
For the record, the head of the clamp goes facing down on the opposite side of where the water hose runs.

Back