Logo

Speaking of filters

bob_on_this

Regular Contributor
"My 305 GM Crusader 220 has a

"My 305 GM Crusader 220 has a remote fuel and a remote oil filter. Both had Sierra filters on them.(the oil looks factory, the fuel looks add-on)
First, are these (Sierra) filters any good?
and, is there anyone that cross reference these to
a better / different brand?"

"Bob

I use that same Sierra

"Bob

I use that same Sierra fuel filter on our other boat a 305 Cu In Bayliner...Never had a probelm...6 years. You can PROBABLY just measure the thread size and find a fuel filter but the oil filter may require specifics that I find sometimes by using the K & N reference chart on their web site. Once I found what the cross reference is, then read about the characteristics of the filter being recommended...Sounds like to much work now that I spell it out...."

"Bob:

All the oil filters I

"Bob:

All the oil filters I've seen on those Blue Beasts are the older ford size, fram's -8A or delco's -2 parts.

As far as the fuel filters go, there are two common thread sizes and which one is which is hard to tell.

I've grown accustom to the Wix brand lately but never had any issues running the Frams in the past. There is another number that provides a 'taller' filter if you want to add more filter area, too - any good parts counter person should be able to quote it from memory. There are many www sites with oil filter data if you wanna research the topic.

As far as fuel filters go, the sierra's have done ok for me. I think the racor elements are superior but they come with a huge cost multiplier. (yes, they make the sealed can elements, too.)"

"Thanks guys,
I have done a b

"Thanks guys,
I have done a bit of WWW research. Can't seem to find what I want.

The oil is a 18-7878 and I think I can use a K&N with a # PH1009

The fuel is a 18-7846 (Crusader 98041) but I can't find a Racor that cross's over?
I maybe wrong, but I think the 18-7845 is the same only longer?

I have room for the longer filters, both fuel and oil, and that is the direction I'm wanting to go.
(Water drain in the fuel would also be nice)

Thanks
Bob"

I only use WIX

Your fuel fi

I only use WIX

Your fuel filter-Sierra is a WIX - 33364

Your oil filter- Sierra is a WIX - 51307

"What I was getting at about t

"What I was getting at about the K&N site is they have everything listed in the event you wish to use the taller filter gaining filter surface area. Then, even if you are not using the K&N series, you can work backwards and fit yourself into any other brand of filter"

"wix's www site has a good

"wix's www site has a good lookup function. It gives the critical specs so you can measure what you have before you buy it.

For the racor's - look up B32020MAM or B32021MAM. They are the spin-on elements with the approved metal bowls. If you are unsure, their tech support department is excellent. I use this on my furnace...I'm going on 10 years now without having to change the filter. I expect the furnace will be changed before the filter needs it. Pressure drop hasn't reached a 1/2" Hg yet."

"OK...Now you got my interest

"OK...Now you got my interest again....Mark, you are using the Racor filter for an oil burner? Which one? I' need to change mine"

"Al:

I got a slightly used

"Al:

I got a slightly used quicksilver spin-on head from the boat shop. I got the racor replacement element with the outboard bowl. I want to say the element's number is S3214 with a suffix but it doesn't come to mind right now. I also didn't appreciate the wad of yarn straining out any crud in the tank.

I swapped this setup in for the 'standard' General Filter found on most every furnace on the east coast. Two drivers: The previous owner/maintenance tech had cracked one of the threaded fittings in the housing and the local hardware store stopped stocking burner equipment. I also didn't appreciate the 'wad of yarn' filtering the oil very well.

That crack was driving me nuts as two or three times a year, the pump would start whining. Always a gradual increase in noise. turns out it was losing prime. the crack in the fitting was a Bi**h to find. After doing the swap, Racor confirmed the application of the filter was acceptable, given the flow rate. So, yes, it is a gasoline filter element in a 'diesel' application.

If you need specific part numbers, I can look them up over the weekend - just email."

Back