Logo

sparks plugs???

o2bboatn

Just a quick question. I have a 1989 Chris Craft 42' aft cabin with 502C crusaders. Any feed back, or has any body used up graded sparks ( g-power, v-power) over the base BPR6FS (NGK)? Thanks

Ayuh,... There ain't a spark plug in the world that'll run measurably better than the factory spec'ed plugs...

Pure snake oil,....

I run the AC Delcos...

Bill, do you mean to tell me that the $237 set of Gold-Platnum-Quadialquirk 1.7Jigavolt 3000AFG spark plugs that I just bought, will not measureably improve my performance? :D
Dang...... it was one of those "all sales final/no return" purchases too! :mad:

BTW, I'm just being sarcastic. I agree... there's lots of hype about high performance spark plugs for our usage.
The industry has had 100 years or so to copy each other's technology, and to make improvements.

Last edited:
The only "different" plugs that do seem to work 'better' are the gapless plugs used in later outboards (with the high energy ignition systems needed to fire them). These plugs are designed to resist fouling in two stroke motors, which they (and the ignition system) seem to do very well. My only bitch regarding them is that you can't read colors, which makes me have to substitute conventional plugs when dialing in a new motor.

Jeff

Come on....... Ayone have a sense of humor these days?
Am I the only one who was suckered into buying the $237 set of Gold-Platnum-Quadialquirk 1.7Jigavolt 3000AFG spark plugs? :D

Jeff, I hear you. I owned and rode a hand full of 2-stroke Husqvarna dirst bikes years ago. The standard style center and outer electrode type plugs were the only type that would give you a reading.
I'm using the same style in my Marine engines, and they seem to work just fine.

Bill, do you mean to tell me that the $237 set of Gold-Platnum-Quadialquirk 1.7Jigavolt 3000AFG spark plugs that I just bought, will not measureably improve my performance? :D
Dang...... it was one of those "all sales final/no return" purchases too! :mad:

BTW, I'm just being sarcastic. I agree... there's lots of hype about high performance spark plugs for our usage.
The industry has had 100 years or so to copy each other's technology, and to make improvements.

Ayuh,... Did ya buy the Hi-Def Million Volt Coil to go with 'em,..??

Without the Super coil, those plugs suck...;)

The SBC has gotten along just fine with the R43T ACs since dirt was invented,...
The alloy body of the MR43T is a Big plus for boat motors,...

I like the surface gap plugs in outboards, except,.. Champions are the only 1s I've found...
'n I really don't care for Champs....

Pound for Pound,...
Do ya think, generally speakin',... Do Boaters throw away More perfectly good spark plugs,..?? or Coils,..??

I'm thinkin' the answer would be Coils,....
For the same reason millions of Diy'er Boaters throw away perfectly good Coils,....
Because it's "Easy".....
Atleast it's seen as way Easier than actually Diagnosin' a No Fire issue....

Happy Turkey Day My Friends,...
Blacktop season ended this afternoon,...
Another week or 2 mothballin' the fleet, 'n I'll be spendin' abit more time on here,...
Harassin' the Coil Chuckers.....:cool:

Last edited:
Just a quick question. I have a 1989 Chris Craft 42' aft cabin with 502C crusaders. Any feed back, or has any body used up graded sparks ( g-power, v-power) over the base BPR6FS (NGK)? Thanks

Forget fancy spark plugs. Just make sure your distributor and it's advance mechanism is working along with the correct total spark advance. :)

Thanks for all the great feed back, I kind of thought the original factory spec was going to be the answer.
Thanks again for your time!!

..."Forget fancy spark plugs. Just make sure your distributor and it's advance mechanism is working along with the correct total spark advance. "

RIGHT!!!

jEFF

Just make sure your distributor and it's advance mechanism is working along with the correct total spark advance. "

RIGHT!!!
Amen to that!
All too often BASE advance ONLY is set, and we or the mechanic walk away assuming that the progressive and TA are also correct.

Actually, I'd suggest looking up the OEM's original reccomendation (brand) and then checking the Plug Maker's application guide for the current suggested part number, especially for the older engines...the fuel that is sold now is very different that what existed say back in the mid eighties... Just my two cents.

Bondo - the answer is COILS - hands down....I know I have enough free spares liberated from the trash cans at the local launching ramps to last a lifetime...

Back