Logo

spark timing linkage 1993 40 hp johnson

mjstonework122

1993 40 hp tracker while doing a link n sync I measured the spark linkage and its 2" 13/16". I just watched a link and sync video on the same engine where they say the base timing is supposed to be 2" 1/16". i know it would need to be adjusted after base timing adjustment.
haven't been able to get this motor to stay running which is why I'm trying to do the link and sync. i just got the motor and I've cleaned the carb replaced plugs and wires. it wont idle and i cant get the full power. carb spits a little bit.

Timing on these motors does go out of adjustment.----Be careful if you decide to make changes.----Compression test is step # 1 in trouble shooting , post your numbers.

Well----The reed valves have nothing to do with compression in the cylinders.----Might be worth pulling cylinder head to have a look.

I was told that failing reed valve will cause a lean burn but its not the prob anyway. I pulled em and they look pretty good. However the timing is jumping all over particularly on the top cylinder. I thought at first it was just double firing but it seems erratic. Maybe 25% of the time spark when it should, 20% of the time its 180 degrees out of phase and the rest is just erratic. The bottom seems much more consistent.
I hope that this is a good clue to what is failing. It got progressively worse over 3 hours of tinkering with it.
I will order a new head gasket and look into that as well.

Last edited:
I just found that the trim won't work. I think it has a buzzing coming from one of those relays. Can I replace with a automotive relay or do I need to order one?

Back