Logo

Spark Plugs

jnscherr

Contributing Member
I pulled my plugs to see what

I pulled my plugs to see what condition they where in. When I pulled the plug in the third cylinder I noticed the ground electrode was cupped. I checked my manual to see what would cause this and it said the coils polarity is reversed. Is this a matter of switching the wires around or is it more involved that that?

"dont sw any wires,esp if it i

"dont sw any wires,esp if it is running ok....what plugs r u using?,and in what eng?..pix?"

The engine is a 1983 70hp John

The engine is a 1983 70hp Johnson. The plugs I'm using are QL77JC4 gapped at .040". Are these the correct plugs and are they gapped properly. Is this normal wear and tear?

"yep.......the 40 is not recom

"yep.......the 40 is not recomended by the factory any more,after many yrs of use.... try .030 this is the correct gap."

"I don't know what happene

"I don't know what happened now. I changed the spark gap from .040" to .030" now it doesn't want to accelerate any more. What I mean is, when the engine is at idle and I go to put it in gear and accelerate it dies. Unless I quickly throttle up and sometimes it goes. Could this be from me adjusting the fast idle cable? I'm stumped."

"chging the gap.,is not causin

"chging the gap.,is not causing ur acceleration problem....maybe it is idling too slow,...or maybe it just likes the 40 gap........"

"If the engine has been sittin

"If the engine has been sitting for some time between changing the plug gap, it's possible that a high speed jet as become somewhat clogged."

Back