Logo

Spare sherwood e35 question

"If I purchase a spare pump, i

"If I purchase a spare pump, is there a different one for each rotation on the engines, or just how the impeller is installed. Can I use the spare for either motor or must I have two? Are the threaded nipples that go on the pumps different for each rotation on 350's? And lastly, when you change only the impellers, do you typically leave the water pump in place, or remove it to work on it? Obviously access is not fun, and I want to get in and out as easily as possible.
Steve"

"The difference is how the imp

"The difference is how the impeller is installed and you can use it for either engine depending on the way the impeller vanes are placed. Hose fittings are the same for either engine also when I change my impellers, I usually remove the entire pump as a.) I have spare pumps and b.) it becomes easier for me to look over the entire pump and make a decision on which parts I may want to change...but that is MY method"

"mine have different fittings

"mine have different fittings on each side (85-86 vintage. Like Al, I remmove the whole thing for servicing and I've got easy access. I couldn't imagine the fustration in trying to service the pump on its mount.

I'd suggest two alternatives: 1) like Al, have a spare set, almost ready to go, or 2) have a single spare and, if your fittings are different, have them available but not installed. "Almost ready to go" means storing them without the imeller installed - a must for 2) and a good idea for 1). If you go with 1) make sure you mark (tag) the pump with the side it is set up for.

If you need 'cores' for rebuilding, I have a set. if interested, make me an offer via email. The rebuild kits are just over $100 last time I checked. Should be able to redo both in an afternoon if you have a press and a good snap ring set."

Back