Logo

SPA diagrams

jiggamurf

i am rebuilding a set of trim

i am rebuilding a set of trim cylinders on a VP SP-A drive unit. im not sure what year it is also i cant seem to find a manual for this drive. i believe its equivalent to the 275-A but not sure. does this site sell a manual? oh yeah and what is the best site to see some diagrams and order some parts. ive tried marinepartseurope.com but cant seem to find it there. maybe im not looking right

thanks guys

"It's hard to tell without

"It's hard to tell without some more detail but here's a website that might help you identify it. It has exploded views you can look at too. I'm currently rebuilding the upper gearbox on a 275 and found this site very useful. As far as a manual goes I'm thinking I can find one somewhere that's not too expensive.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/"

"Richy, I think that El P &#40

"Richy, I think that El P (or ??) posted some info a while back re; a seal that would work on these cylinders. Volvo has not offered a seal kit to my knowledge.

The 275 drive would have been the older style that used the lift out unit..... no power trim!
There was an early 280 PT drive that had aluminum covers that housed the externally mounted cylinders.
The 290 was the first generation to have used the twin internally mounted trim cylinders.
From there, it evolved into the SP etc.

."

"Also, according to Seloc, the

"Also, according to Seloc, the OMC 321446 o-ring fits the pistons in some of the early units."

thanks for the info guys. i re

thanks for the info guys. i really apreciate that. what i am going to do is send the cylinders off to a hydraulic repair shop. and save the o-rings and seal part numbers they use for future reference.

a quick question i have. i went on marinepartseuruope.com and looked up drive unit under AQ290A and it looks to be the same rams/system as the SP-A am i correct or are they slightly different? the previous mechanic took it apart and didnt know what to do. and as i look a the box of stuff i swear im missing parts. but need to verify with an exploded view.

thanx guys

"Ricardo and El P. this is int

"Ricardo and El P. this is interesting i found a kit made for those rams. a company in australia makes the reseal kit for them at around $70 a ram. the kit includes the 2 orings, the 2 cap seals and the third seal wich moves with the shaft i dont know what its called sorry. and if you want the cylinder they sell it for around 160 usd. not bad heres the website and the part numbers. hope this helps everyone for future reference.

www.allmar.com.au

9-1920 (cylinder) @ $169.20 ea
9-1921 (seal kit) @ $69.50"

"heres a pic of the kit. i got

"heres a pic of the kit. i got it emailed to me from that company.
334594.jpg
seal kit

"Of the factory cylinder sleev

"Of the factory cylinder sleeves that I have removed, they have been aluminum. (maybe these are also.... they sure look bright for aluminum.... they have more of a SS look to them!)

What I find interesting is that the actual cylinders usually servive (short of distortion or wear)..... it's usually the aluminum "base" end and "stem" end housings that corrode and need to be replaced..... particularly where the hydraulic lines attach! (of which has little to do with the seals... just an FYI on that)

Doing new seals is good, however, I think I'd be equally concerned with the condition of the base/stem end housings! If yours are showing signs of corrosion, you may be money and time ahead to replace the entire cylinder!

Have you removed the hydraulic lines yet?????
If not, use a little heat on the aluminum housings before attempting to remove the line fittings! (and the correct six point tubing wrench)

."

"Yeah the rams and lines have

"Yeah the rams and lines have been removed off the transom assy. The cylinders look in great condition and the ends to them also there is two small seals I think they might be dust seals on those caps that are just falling apart when I place my finger on them. And the orings are just worn. The boat has never seen salt water so there's no corrosion at all on any part od the drive/transom/trim wich is good.

Now my questions are:
The 2 dust seals (I think they're blue on the pic) seem to be inside a groove in the end cap of the ram. How do you R&R those?

And the base I believe you called it, has that white ring/seal in the midlle of the base piece that is connected to the rod that slide back and forth. Is that a 2 piece base? If so how do you slpit it without scoring the sides? Or how do you R&R that seal?

Now that I found that kit I'm thinking of doing it myself unless I need special tools then ill send it off.

Please excuse my terminology and my spelling.

Thanks Ricardo"

"You will need to very careful

"You will need to very carefully pick those from the stem end housings.

The cylinder "Stem" (the actual ram piston shaft) will need to be held in a split clamping fixture. The fixture will look like a cylinder (ID same as stem OD) split down the center!
The material removed from making the split reduces the ID when both halves are placed back together.

You may need to have a machine shop make you the part for this so that you do not scratch this stem. It could possibly be soft aluminum, soft brass, phenolic or from a block of Oak wood.

The cylinder stem is then placed inside of both halves of the fixture, and then clamped in a bench vice so that it can held securely while being disassembled.

."

Back