Logo

SP Drive Dipstick and Drain Plug

JimS88

I have an SP outdrive and every time I go to check the oil and/or drain the drive I have to wrestle with the drain/fill plugs. The OEM plugs are slotted and the screwdriver usually pops out of the slot several times before I can break it loose. This tends to chew up the soft aluminum slot.

Are there replacement plugs with an allen socket or something else better than the slot?

Alternatively, is there a better tool for this task?

Thanks, Jim

I have an SP outdrive and every time I go to check the oil and/or drain the drive I have to wrestle with the drain/fill plugs. The OEM plugs are slotted and the screwdriver usually pops out of the slot several times before I can break it loose. This tends to chew up the soft aluminum slot.

Are there replacement plugs with an allen socket or something else better than the slot?

Alternatively, is there a better tool for this task?

Thanks, Jim

Jim, both the drain plug and dip stick are stainless steel.
It sounds as though you're not using a hand held impact driver!

The impact driver works well on the drain plug...... both in removing it, and most definitely while installing it.
Give it one or two mild blows.

In spite of making marks on the head, a channel lock pliers works well on the dip stick.

Use new O-rings each time.

Last edited:
Hi Rick, thanks for the reply. I've tried an impact driver in the past with limited success. I can't do it on the dipstick because I have a swim step too close over the drive. I'll try it again on the drain plug. And the channel locks for the dipstick.

Of course you are right, they are stainless. Still the slot is getting deformed over time.

I was hoping there was an socket head screw plug that is used in newer drives. Maybe I can have some made by a machinist.

Jim

Get a screwdriver that fits the slot, in a length sufficient to access the dip stick thru the swim step. If the step is solid, drill a hole sufficient for the screwdriver to go through. If the screwdriver is appropriately sized, channel locks or vice grips on the shaft for added leverage ... :rolleyes:

Hi Rick, thanks for the reply. I've tried an impact driver in the past with limited success.
Always use the hand held impact driver.
Hand tightening ONLY could lead to the drain plug coming loose.

I can't do it on the dipstick because I have a swim step too close over the drive.
Another good reason for using the channel lock pliers.

I was hoping there was an socket head screw plug that is used in newer drives. Maybe I can have some made by a machinist.
Jim, I've been using the impact driver and channel locks on drives for over 20 years.
No issues to date!

channel locks or vice grips for added leverage ... :rolleyes:

Bingo! :D

Great... will try this myself. the "profile" on the straight blade driver on my ancient hand impact driver is such that it climbs right out of the slot before it does any real good.

Yes, that's the problem I have. The driver climbs out of the slot. I'll look for a better driver.

Thanks for the replies.

Back