Logo

Solenoid Install question

"Hello Everyone, I just Instal

"Hello Everyone, I just Installed a new Solenoid on my 04' 175 johnson outboard. I had a question on the positive/starter side. There are three wires + battery cable. I put the one wire on with nut, but is there any sequence for the other two, Also does the battery cable go last? From what I remember it does. It seemed like it was Red, Yellow/Red, Starter cable, Battery Cable? Does this sound correct? Sorry about the book, just want to get it right. Thanks in advance.

Chris"

"Chris, The battery cable sho

"Chris, The battery cable should be on one side of the solenoid secondary (large dia. connection) with the red wire that runs to the charging system voltage regulator. The other side of the secondary should be the starter cable, by itself. The smaller ring terminal red/yellow is power to the primary (small dia connections) winding from the keyswitch. The other primary terminal ususally has a ground (black) wire.

There is no preferred order, although on my '98 Johnny, it had the wire to the V/R on first and then a nut, and then the battery cable."

"Thanks Chris...What confused

"Thanks Chris...What confused me is the red cable to the charging system it was taped black all the way to the upper flywheel cover. I started this and finished two days later. Should have labeled things better! Figured it out, but after installing the new solenoid, it still clicks!!! I took it to the local johnson dealer and he checked the voltage, I think to starter, had 12V he also checked the voltage on both sides of the solenoid(voltage drop) and had 7.5+ with the key being turned. Advised me the starter was bad? Does this sound correct. Is there any other tests he could have performed??

Chris"

"Chris, Why was the red cable

"Chris, Why was the red cable to the voltage regulator taped up? Did it melt the insulation? If so, you may have a short in the V/R.

if you disconnect the starter cable, and turn the ignition key to start, both sides of the starter solenoid secondary (large) connections should show battery voltage (+12V) to ground. The solenoid only uses 3-4Amps to close, and will not drop the voltage significantly. if there is a voltage drop, either the solenoid is bad, or the battery is bad. When the starter is spinning the motor, the voltage at the battery should read 8.5 Volts or more. If it is less either the starter is pulling a whole bunch more power, due to a short, or the battery is bad."

"Hello Again Chris.. This whol

"Hello Again Chris.. This whole starter/solenoid thing has got me so frustrated! Mostly due to the engine being so new, under 85hrs!!! I'm not sure why the wire was taped possibly just for protection? It seemed like it was meant to be this way..I did replace the solenoid and battery, but can't imagine after shutting off the engine the last time I used it and trying to start it a month later that it's bad.(My last yamaha was 19yrs and never had a problem) It also seems to me it a electricial problem. The thing is when you hit the key with the new components the starter doesn't do anything.
The mechanic said it's probably a short in the starter?(like you said-pulling more than 3-4 amps! If the starter is doing nothing then I can't perform the test your mentioning right?

Thanks again, It's great to get such good advice.

Chris"

"Chris, The starter solenoid

"Chris, The starter solenoid only pulls about 4 Amps. A good starter will normally pull 150Amps or so. A shorted starter will pull 300-400Amps or more."

Back