Logo

So its the bolt screwed into the flywheel

Well must have faded!It should

Well must have faded!It should be at or near the same place on the standard rotation about 3 oclock lookin from the belts.what happened to a mark with an arrow pointing to it that says TDC or time your engine properly by using this mark here.

"Dan - is that engine original

"Dan - is that engine original to the boat and/or, is it the same year as the other motor?

My '70 318 has no timing marks at the front of the engine. It's timed by the flywheel (which has the degree increments clearly stamped into it). The top of my bell housing has a notched out section with an arrow for timing."

"Yes both motors are the origi

"Yes both motors are the originals according to the stamp on the side of the block 7/22/78.The boats a 1980.It had the marks at the front on the timing cover and the rusted piece opposite of that and the crank pulley has notches but they arent close.I have tried and tried to turn it over and mark the #1 top of both strokes .R those degree increments on the beveled edge of the flywheel?I bought it and it ran right off the dock and then went to get on plane and 2800 was all I got so I went to the old carbs and metering rods were stuck and both carbs broke during rebuild(internal strippage and such).Since then Ive learned a bunch from you guys.I got turned around by the counter rotator and its screwyness!my rotor turns and comes back but not all the way like the stan. rot. motor .So I did the ole Fasjeff rotor dance.I goosed it today while I had it runnin to maybe let the motor work the rotor, opened up the secondaries for a sec and its loud!let it come back down and dies after about20 secs. the plugs keep getting fouled so bad I got 2 sets.Could be the rotor not coming back down due to weak spring action and the fact that I cant time it exactly?Theres a lil background info lol Still pluggin away at it!!Thanks for the guidance.

All the previous fella had was a can of 3-1 oil now I know why!!"

You can watch the distributor

You can watch the distributor advancing and retarding with a timing light.

Jeff

"Dan, given the importance of

"Dan, given the importance of ignition advance for our marine gassers, I'd recommend that you find and verify TDC # 1 on both engines.
This may require performing the Positive Piston Stop procedure.
It may be a hassle, but you do this just once!

I'd then make sure that you have a clear means of seeing and reading up to 30* in the ignition advance direction for both engines!
Use a Standard Ole "Strobe Type" timing light!
I'd not use a digitally advancing light for dynamic TAT for a Marine gasser! It is just too critical, IMO!
You will want to see Real Degrees in Real Time!
Again, IMO."

Back