Logo

Sluggish Throttle 2005 3.0

mckillip1969

I have a 2005 4.3L Merc I/O. Last season it ran perfect. When I put it up it had 1/4 tank of gas in it (93 octane) and the appropriate amount of StaBil. First time out this year, it started fine but when I engaged the gear and gave it a tiny bit of throttle it would die. If I buried the throttle it would jump up fine and would run fine it is just that little spot past neutral that it dies. Is it the fuel or carb?

Re: Sluggish Throttle

the alchohol in the fuel shrank the accelorater umbrella in the carb is my bet!

I have never rebuilt a carb but have replaced plenty on a Chevy Small block. Would it be cheaper to have it rebuilt at a shop or just buy a new one?

new one is probably several hundred dollars

rebiuld kit rhru merc ~ $50.00

Replace the accellerator pump per kghost. With the carb top off pour in 4 ozs. of Seafoam and let it sit a few hours before restarting it. It will smoke until the Seafoam is burned but it should clean out the carb internals.

Put it on the water today, started cold with a little coaxing but had to hit it pretty hard to get it going. When I brought it back down it stalled out. After that, I had to push the throttle way forward to get it started and it would not idle. I had to run the RPMs up then bring it back it slam it in gear before it stalled just to get back to the ramp. Ran just fine on plane though. ?????

2 Barrel, does the rebuild kit come with good instructions or do I need to buy a SELOC? Any special considerations I need to know before tackling the project

hi mckillip i bet you can do it!! no mechanic here but i can do a 2 barrel a walk in the park!!!! the instructions are easy.

Get a Merc. manual for the correct specs. for setting the float, etc. Get the carb kit from Mercury because it will have the correct base gasket...very important for a Merc. duece.

Back