Logo

Slack in Shifter Box 5.0 Mercruiser 1993 5.0 L

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys,
I just completed some minor carb work on a 1993 Sea ray with a 5.0 . The customer now states that there is a unusual amount of slack in the throttle once it is in gear. It goes in and out of gear normally without stalling, but you really have to push the throttle lever foward quite a bit before the carb. starts to open. It has a black plastic shifter with a red pull up button inside the top of the handle to allow for motion. It also has the trim switch on the body of the shifter not the actual handle. I suspect there is a problem in the shifter as it does shift ok with no stalling. You just have to push it forward farther than normal to get throttle. Is there any thing to look for inside the shifter box and if so how does one open it up?

Thanks,
Jon Allen

Re: Slack in Shifter Box 5.0 Mercruiser

Hi Chief,

Thanks for the quick reply. The shifter control box is a Quicksilver 3000. I took as much slack as I could out of the throttle cable at the carb as I could without opening the throttle plates with no improvement. After the gears engage in either FWD or REV I still have to push or pull the lever down quite a bit before it opens the throttle.

Thanks Again,
Jon Allen

The cable laying loose ? Try tacking it up so only the cable moves and not the outer casing.

Quicksilver 3000

I refurbished mine a few years ago and don't believe there are any internal slack adjustments. The throttle cable outer casing may have come loose from its lockdown point inside. If you can, try reaching in behind the side panel where it is mounted and feel the cable. Push/pull on it to see if it is loose. To remove it the handle has to come off and the assy. removed from the backside of the panel. It's much easier to unscrew the side panel if possible. Take pics. if you disassemble it.

Back