Logo

skip / backfire thru carbs at idle. runs out great. 1989 xp 200

johnsii97

I have a 1989 Evinrude XP200 that has a skip ,or backfire at idle. if I run it W.O.T. for a bit, it will idle fine for a while, but will go back to the skip.
I have a new power pack, and I am mixing 50:1 with oil side of the VRO disconnected and plugged. what could cause this skip? like I said, runs great every other throttle position. just won't idle. I can see the backfire thru the carb. any suggestions?

OK. Thanks. I will do that this week. Hoping to take of back out this weekend. This is the model that has six carbs with no adjustments. Just two air jets.

Update! So I cleaned all six carbs. Found one mounting gasket that was broke. Replaced it. Also replaced spark plugs. Gap at. 035. Took it out this morning and at first it was still sneezing. After removing the cowl. I began to think it was idled too low. With adjusting the throttle lever and spark timing adjustment. It seemed to get better. I'm not sure how to set the timing vs idle. I just played with it and did get it to run better. It still has a slight sneeze every once in a while. But I feel confident that I may have found my problem. Any suggestions on setting the spark timing adjustment would be helpful. Or is it a trial and error with it under a load? At the end of the day. I feel encouraged that I'm getting closer to having this motor back to top running order.

Last edited:
Back