Logo

Skeg repair vs. Replacement…

fixh2o

I have lost the bottom 2 or 3 inches from my skeg. Any thoughts as toreplacement vs. repair? Also, doesanyone have experience with the stainless steel repair kit vs. the nylon compositerepair kit?

Your skeg also serves as a rudder, so to speak.
Don't cheap out by adding one the so called "skeg repair" pieces.

Pull the lower unit, and send it in to a good propeller repair company. It won't cost all that much.

When you get it back, and after it's been painted, you won't know that it was ever damaged.

Thanks for the quick reply Rick! I had a skeg replacement on an outboard several years ago that worked out well and was more substantial than the original. I have a shop that I use that does a great job but it takes me out of the game for about three weeks and with the season coming to a close I really wanted to have a few more times on the water before I put her away for the season. The cost for skeg replacement is around $250 which is not a really big deal vs. the $100 for a repair kit. Just wanted to know if anyone has experience with them.

Set up an appointment with the prop repair shop.
Pull the lower unit.... take it in..... go have lunch or run an errand.... come back and pick it up.
This should cost you no where near $250.

Also, when we place SS against aluminum, we create a potential for galvanic corrosion.
These skin type skeg repair units trap water in between them and the original aluminum skeg material.

I'd rather see you continue to run with the missing 2" of skeg material, than to see you install one of these cheesy type temporary fixes.

Last edited:
Agree with kimcrwbr1 on running it..just dont jump any logs...i ran one back in the aluminum prop days and didnt know it was broke til i noticed how shiny the prop was...all the paint was gone and it was buffed up like a new stainless...

Just be careful it is there to protect the prop more than anything else.
Kim, I'm half messing with you here.... but here's my take.

If the skeg's primary function is to protect the propeller (and I do understand the 6:00 O'clock area), what's protecting the other areas? :D

Again, I'm just messing with you! :D

Attachments

• Skeg protecting propeller NOT.jpg
    Skeg protecting propeller NOT.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 930
Back