Logo

Simple breaker points question

GoldenNighthawk

Is the rubber end of breaker point supposed to keep contact on cam all the way around or just roughly half as it climbs and decends lobe?

I saw another post on here a while ago about a defective set of points and one of the sets I purchased will not open at all so just double checking above question if the one set is normal.

Thanks

The rubbing block does not need to contact all the time.-----What issues are you having and what motor are you working on ?

Thanks!

It's a late 60's 6 hp

No issues known now until I can test compression and fire it. I just had to borrow a coil from this motor years ago and I am just getting to putting this back together with some new parts and general maintenance

Arguably one of the best outboards ever made. Once you do the compression test, take a quick look at the head gasket and see if it has been replaced or not. These original head gaskets often failed by burning across between the cylinders. So the replacement head gaskets are improved to last another 50 years. Remember, when removing the lower unit, that the little pin which applies pressure against the lower crankshaft seal system, must line up with the slot so the shaft can drop down. So if the shaft pulls down only about 3/8 to 1/2", then stops....don't force it, just make sure it's in gear, then turn the prop a bit, until the pin will line up with the slot, then it will drop down/pull out. If you are able, try to get the impeller with the brass hub, not the plastic hub. These are generally a higher quality but still not near as good as the original impeller that came with the motor. Why? Because rubber really isn't rubber anymore. It's synthetic, or at best, a hybrid. I'm running 1970 tires on the front of my firewood delivery truck, yes....bias ply, but REAL LATEX RUBBER. Tires today are lucky to last 15 years whether you store them, or drive them. My 1954 Johnson 5.5 still has the original impeller, and pumps water like a firetruck.

Last edited:
They are a sweet running motor.-----Great motor to own if you learn how to do the simple maintenance and work.------No need for $100/hr repair depot.

Had lower unit off last week and Impeller was good. I may have replaced it 8 years ago. I did notice Prop shaft seal is leaking ever so slightly so will have to do that some time soon but I wanted to check compression first. I do want to take off the head but I'm kind of holding off until compression test as well. I like using oem parts and the gasket is pricey. Would you guys use oem or sierra head gasket?

I have a service manual but it's not very in depth, I suppose it's fine for now but is there an oem manual for complete disassembly and reassembly?

Answer to first question, yes the Sierra gasket is very good. Maybe Racer or another tech can help with a repair manual suggestion.

I use the sierra head gasket.------Just as good as factory original.-----And far , far better than the gasket installed in the 1960's

Arguably one of the best outboards ever made.

I have to agree with timguy. I acquired my first Johnson 1965 6hp 40 years ago and have a gazillion hours on it. It was serviced over the years by others. In the last year I acquired 2 more 6 hps being a Johnson 1975 and a 1970 Evinrude fisherman. Also I might ad fuel tanks a 6 and 3 gallon.
I am learning to service work on them myself and really do enjoy the challenge. Thanks to internet resources and maintenance manuals and the input from the mechanics here on the forum.

That's why I'm here, my friend, I enjoy keeping this brilliant engineering alive. When these motors are gone.....so am I

Cool. Thanks guys, you inspired me and I bit the bullet and ordered a sierra headgasket, about $25 cheaper than oem. I took the head off just a few minutes ago and I'm glad I did as this used to be a salt water machine in its previous life. You can imagine what I found. I'll do some meticulous cleaning and have the head back on in a few days. Minus the salt deposits everything appears to be OK. It has original head gasket on it. I checked thermostat a week ago and replaced as it was plugged - it's been overheated quite a bit by a previous operator aswell.
Thanks again

I didn't end up doing a compression test yet as I am having to return and get a new set of points so I didn't want to bolt flywheel down. I am fairly confident that compression will be OK as it started and ran fine years ago when I first put this powerhead on , albeit way to hot - it was tested before purchased, looking back I should of checked thermostat when I got it as I knew it came from Seattle. I ran it for a fishing derby trolling one or two days.

It's a Johnson CD-24D with a 1968 - 6802C Evinrude Powerhead.

Last edited:
Back