Logo

Sign of blown head gasket or stuck rings on 1983 60 HP Evinrude?

code1p36

Regular Contributor
I need a little help diagnosing a 1983 60 HP Evinrude two cylinder with low compression in the top piston. The top is 90 and the lower is 140. Crankshaft feels tight with no slop in the bearings. The top spark plug had very small signs of moisture around the end and the lower showed even less. Hard to say if it was water or unburned fuel. There is very small signs of oil around the head gasket about mid way down the top cylinder on one side.

How do I tell if it is a blown head gasket or a stuck ring or possibly scorn cylinder walls without taking off the head? Any tips would be appreciated before I take off the head to look inside it.

There is also a hairline crack about 3-4 inches from center line of flywheel towards the cylinder head. That crack runs vertical around the top and down each side about half way. No idea if the two issues of the crack, compression and stator issue are tied together. I know I can probably clean up the paint and JB Weld that crack but the bigger issue is low compression. I already fixed the stator, the flywheel and stator both looked good still.

The motor ran great before a screw sheared off the stator which slightly off centered it and broke the plastic connectors of the linkage from the stator to throttle control from the flywheel rubbing the stator. The flywheel was just barely rubbing the stator so I don't think it came to an abrupt stop since you could still crank it over easy.

Thanks for the help.

Well, you have to take the head off !!----Can not be fixed / diagnosed without that step.-------Post pictures of the crack as you might be trying to ride a dead horse.

Was gone for the weekend and just pulled the head off tonight. The powerhead is toast. The top piston was scorn on the cylinder walls so going to look for a good use replacement powerhead. More efficient and probably cheaper to find a good used one compared to rebuilding this one, especially with the crack.

If I remember right that 2 cylinder 60 hp had a habit of the block itself just splitting for no apparent reason. That's why I was wondering about the cracks.

Back