Logo

Sierra plugs wires on a 454

bobct

Advanced Contributor
"Has anyone used the Sierra wi

"Has anyone used the Sierra wires #18-8803-02 on a 454? (conventional cap, prestolite ignition).

I started to swap out one engine today and I'm not happy with the wire lengths. Three are the same, one is about 12" longer the the 2nd longest.

This seems simple to me, the distributor is in the center of the engine. Shouldn't there be two of each (same size) and a coil wire?

I'm going to call them tomorrow but wondering if anyone else had the same issue. They look like nice wires otherwise.

Bob"

"This seems odd but Sierra con

"This seems odd but Sierra confirmed that the set I have is correct:

(2) 31" wires
(1) 34" wire
(1) 39" wire
(3) 43" wires
(1) 48" wire

coil wire

Guy I spoke to said that trying to match them up to the wires I took off won't work. He went on to say that these are exact match to Crusader specs which should be in the manual (will check).

Same size manifolds, distributor in the middle... doesn't make sense to me but I'll check it out.

Bob"

"Maybe the lengths are related

"Maybe the lengths are related to the fact that the heads are staggered on the block, and the wire length assumes a certain distr. cap position."

"I have the same engine and ig

"I have the same engine and ignition. The Sierra kit does not fit, I found also. My mechanic had to make a set using 2 different sets. Sorry, I don't know which ones he used."

"You can buy new plug ends fro

"You can buy new plug ends from Jegs or Summit Racing (on-line). Cut off the too long ones and replace them with the new ends. Not hard to do.

On my Chryslers, I use BB Chevy wires that have the straight plug ends, so have to replace them with angled ones.

Jeff"

"In Iuka, MS there is a Car Qu

"In Iuka, MS there is a Car Quest that is the parts supplier for most of the marinas on Pickwick Lake on the Tennessee River. They recommended and I bought one new set of wires for my 454 CID last year and they fit the first time with no adjustments. The name is Magstar Marine Spark Plug Wire Set. The part number is 15-803 (Crusader 454 GM w/Elect Ignition). Their website is www.wiretec-ignition.com. On the box the claim is a Lifetime Warranty.

I will purchase a set for the starboard engine in the spring.

Chuck Hanson"

I have 1995 454XLs. I ordered

I have 1995 454XLs. I ordered plug wires from ebasicpower.com. Item # CRU98171. The coil wire was seperate. CRU98094. The wire set fits like original.

Back