Logo

Shorted Something on Mercruiser 357

AP312

Hi,

I just bought my first boat, a 1996 Silverton 312 Sedan. It was repowered in 2016 with twin Mercruiser 357s. Everything worked totally fine, the only issue is that the shift cables need adjusting. Given that this is my first boat, and the first boat over 25ft I've operated, the loose trim cables made docking extra difficult. I attempted to adjust them today, and in the process I took the air filter housing off the carburetor for better access to the cables. I completely forgot to make sure the battery switches were turned off, and when I took the filter off the inner rim of the filter contacted the rod that the filter bolts down to, and somehow sparked. Im not sure what it touched that was powered. After I put everything back together, I decided to test the starboard engine. The starter runs, and it turns, but it will not start. There is gas and the starters are running strong, but it seems like its not getting spark after what happened. They ran perfectly fine earlier, so im guessing I shorted something and blew a fuse, but I looked around and could not find a blown fuse. Ive only had this boat for 3 days and im not very familiar with marine engines. I checked the 50 amp fuses at the battery shut offs, those are fine. Nothing is popped in the main control panel. There is one other fuse I can see behind the air filter housing, and that one is not popped either. If anyone has any fuse locations they recommend checking, or alternate diagnoses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Back