Logo

Shim tool and zero gap

nshows

I got the shim tool so I can shim my driveshaft and new pinion gear. However I find that I have zero gap. The gauge bar rest nicely against the pinion as it turns. I am supposed take the average gap and subtract it from 0.020 and that number is the amount of shim I need to add.

My question is do I take the 0 (Average gap) and subtract that from 0.020 (Factory set number)? So I will need to add 0.020 of shim? Or do I need to add 0 shim? thanks for the help I have not come across a no gap on my research of this step.

Last edited:
This reply may be out of line, but for the motors I recall working on, the clearance at the pinion end of the gauge tool was supposed to be zero to 0.002" with correct shim stack installed. Your mileage may differ.

This reply may be out of line, but for the motors I recall working on, the clearance at the pinion end of the gauge tool was supposed to be zero to 0.002" with correct shim stack installed. Your mileage may differ.

so basically my driveshaft is perfect length? so no Shim. As I read and think about it, I draw that conclusion. But having a hard time agreeing with it. haha.

Back