Logo

Shifting in and out of gear very difficult

Fishingpcola

I replaced both my throttle and shifter cables back in May. Shifting was difficult then but better with new cables. You could not shift by hand when cables were disconnected. I'm told you should be able to shift using your hand on the shifter lever. I will be spraying with PB Blaster every day to loosen up. The service shop says my have to pull power head off and remove corroded parts to fix. Any suggestions.

I had a similar issue on my 200 and I sprayed pb blaster on the shift rod and let it soak in. I did it daily for a week or so and it made a huge difference

I spray both the shaft visible from outside and the shifting mechanism located under the cowling. I will spray everyday this week and hope for some improvement.

It is not easy to shift by hand even when all is good. It does take some effort. It should be easy if the lower unit is removed. The detent should be the only thing giving you resistance at that point.

If you are using pb blaster, you might also remove the starter (which gives you access to the flywheel area, where the shift rods meet.

See #8 and #14 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2006/BF225A6 LA/SHIFT SHAFT/parts.html

If you can put another straw on the end (shrink tube two straws together) or a very small hose to direct it more toward where the shift shafts join, it will get into the lower parts.

And, yes, the only way to access it to fix it properly, is to remove the powerhead.

If you do get things moving, be sure to lube what you can and do that periodically to keep things moving.

Mike

Mike

Hondadude, are you suggesting removing #17 in order to spray pb blaster on #8 and #14? From the diagram it is hard to see what encases #8 and #14.
Thanks,

I did not suggest removing #17, I suggested the starter.

Removing #17 could give you better access to the frozen parts, but you also take a chance of getting the two shift shafts out of sync.

It is not hard resyncing but just be aware that that could happen...so you do not think you have another issue.

Mike

Back