Logo

shift shaft won't reverse

I installed new seals on the gear case to stop oil leaks. I also install new spring, and shift cam. Installed the gear case, prop, and nuts. But the shift shaft won't reverse counter-clockwise. I believe that means it won't engage into reverse. Even with a channel locks pliers griping the shift shaft and turning - it won't go. Any ideas on the problem?

It can take quite a bit of force to shift into reverse. Does both shafts spin in forward gear? It dont matter if you spin the driveshaft or propshaft you need to line up the clutch dog in order to shift into reverse. If the water pump is in only turn the driveshaft clockwise. I neutral the prop shaft should spin free in both directions, in forward gear the propshaft should ratchet in one direction and lock in the other and in reverse the propshaft should lock in both directions. I grab the shiftshaft with vice grips it can take some force to compress the spring are you certain you have the cam in correct? From forward to neutral it should click into place and hold there in neutral.

Sir thank you very much for taking the time to reply. The water pump is already on, and the new seals installed so it's all fairly tight. Plus there's a brand new spring inside the prop shaft which is expect is very hard to compress.

The cam. I didn't make notes when I took the original out, except that the original had severe wear, like deep grooves from the prop shaft pin. The new cam has 3 nice slots at different extensions where I figure the prop shaft pin will set as forward, neutral, and reverse is engaged. I believe that as the shift shaft is rotated counter-clockwise, the cam will push the shaft pin harder, i mean it will compress the shaft pin spring.

I will take you advice and try again tomorrow. Thank you. What gear do you recommend I engage as I lift the lower unit back into the engine?

Back