Logo

Shift shaft seal leak

617bsman

Looking for any help, 89 omc cobra 4.3L, there is a leak at the shift shaft seal, I replaced the shift housing assy, it included the bushing and all seals( complete ),performed the pressure test to 15 psi, checked it an hour later and it was at 13.9 psi, I went to shift the rod and I can wiggle it forwards and side to side, when I wiggle it I can hear air leak from the seal, shouldn’t the bushes in the housing keepthe rod snug and not wiggle side to side and forwards and backwards ? I have called the local boat repair shop and they say to go deeper into the case where the rod screw into the actuator, may have bad bearings, gears , etc,does this make sense to any of you, I think the bushing in the new shift shaft seal housing is the wrong one, the shaft should not move from side to side at the bushing, am I correct, any help is greatly appreciated

After fully inspecting the new seal and housing found out the o-ring that’s supposed to be between the bushing and wiper seal is missing, so if any of you have this sei housing # 0086838 fits the 4.3,5.0,5.7,5.8 86/93, make sure you check it for the o-ring before installing it, I contacted SEI directly and there sending out another one that they clarified was made correctly with all seals !

Back