Logo

Shift rod connection BF50

Dannbran

I am trying to install a new impeller kit and am having issues disconnecting the shift rods. I am fairly mechanically inclined but am totally new to the outboard world. I have loosened the lock but to the bottom and turned the bigger nut clockwise but am not getting far enough up to disconnect (at least that’s my guess). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

I guess I don't understand so I have to ask.....
Are you saying that the long or "barrel" nut won't climb higher up on the upper shift rod because there's not enough threads on the rod?

If so, that's really odd. I've never seen that before.

It could just be getting tight and being stubborn due to some galled threads.

Hopefully someone before you didn't strip the threads previously. That would be bad because the upper rod would need to be replaced as well as the barrel nut.

No, I can look up there and see threads above the nut, the nut just gets up into the opening so far I’m having a little trouble getting my wrench on it. Was reading another post titled

“2003 BF50A shift problems”​

and think I found something to try. Thinking the previous owner didn’t put the rods back together right so think I’ll start there🤞🏻

Did you start the procedure by shifting into reverse first? As you're supposed to?
If not, then that is your problem.

You may need turn the nut back to close to where it was before and then try shifting to reverse.

Note that you should rotate the prop while shifting a motor that is not running to avoid having the clutch gear bind up. It doesn't matter which direction you turn the prop or how fast. Just so it's moving while selecting a gear.

So putting into reverse for me there and everything is golden with the impeller kit install. About to start a new post about my next problem 😭

Back