Logo

shift problem 1985 140

draven620

Regular Contributor
Have a 1985 140hp merccruiser and i was out on the river today worked fine all day came back in to the boat landing went to shift into reverse and when i did it went forward did that three times then i went to put it in forward and the engine reved up but it wouldnt go in forward and then it wouldnt do anything in forward or reverse besides the engine reving up is it a shift cable or something else it is not in neutral i checked.

Re: shift problem

boat overheating ? No, prop spun. Put a spare prop on and try it Boat overheating coupler went or shaft went.

prop isnt spun checked it out at a loss ill take it in mon to bad it takes a couple weeks till ill get it back.

There is a shift pivot arm mounted to the top of the engine. This pivot arm connects the shift cable from your control box to another cable that goes to the lower unit.
When you move your control lever from foward to reverse does this lever move back and forth?

Next, I would remove the short cable end from that pivot arm , the cable that goes to the lower. Push it in as far as you can by hand while someone spins the prop.
You can tell when the lower engages into gear,the prop won't spin in both directions.
See if it engages or not, then pull on the cable and see if the prop will engage or not.
This cable should move freely in both directions.
If the lower engages in both directions, you have a cable/adjustment problem, If the lower will not engage, you have a lower unit problem.

Back