Logo

Shift lever upgrade

"I have an OMC 5.7 cobra made

"I have an OMC 5.7 cobra made in 1987, I'm trying to replace the shifter cable from the lever on top of the engine to the outdrive, the new cable doesn't fit, it's too long. The lever is the old straight one that connects both the cable from the helm and the cable from the outdrive is the old one, this was never upgraded. does anyone know where I can buy one of these newer angled levers? I don't want to cut my new cable to make this work, or if someone can attach a xerox image or photo of one of these next to a ruler so I can fabricate one. Can anyone help me out here?"

"The difference is when the sh

"The difference is when the shift arm changed so did the cable, you can only get the new cable and it doesn't fit the old arm unless you cut the core shorter. A new one is 96 bucks and I don't want to spend much money on this."

ok then...possibly check ebay

ok then...possibly check ebay or some boat yards that have 1988-1990 Cobras laying around that you can remove the part from.

"Thanks Bob, if anyone else ha

"Thanks Bob, if anyone else has a junker one of these lying around with this piece on it i'd like to talk to you about buying this part."

Back