Logo

shift interrupt switch.

redsnapper386

Regular Contributor
guys,i am not shure about the way my switch is wired,or should be wired.i just replaced my old switch roller type to the newer plunger type. now, there are 2-wires that i am not shure how to hook up.both wires are black.i have 1-black that goes to the tach.now where should the other black go.ground,or 12v.there are no wireing instructions.1987 sea ray,350,a-1, thanks.

My old style shift interrupt has one wire to ground and the other to negative side of the coil. All it does is ground out the engine for a split second. Don't know if that's correct for the new style but the theory should be the same.

that makes sense,but my negative wire goes to the neg side of coil along with the tach wire,seems like i have 2 grounds in play. i'm lost here. can someone add to this issue.correction,here is what i have after looking closer.1-black wire ties into the gray tach wire'and those 2 wires go to the tach terminal on the dist.now, this leaves a black wire that goes to what.thanks.lost.

The negative to the coil is NOT ground. That is your confusion.

the interuptor switch grounds out the coil for a split second when shifting OUT of gear when in the water.

The color of the wire goino to/from the tach and coil should be GREY.

On thunderbolt IV the shift interuptor has two leads, there should be a small two wire terminal block that both BLACK interuptor wires went to. The wires comming out of the switch are both black.
One goes to ground (black wire at small terminal block with long screw that makes contact with the metal bracket) the other wire should connect to a GREY wire on the terminal block (only screws into the plastic part of the terminal block) and then the GREY wire in the harness connects to the negative side of the coil.

The thunderbolt V the "grey" connection became WHITE with GREEN stripe and went to the distributor sensor module lead.

If you only bought the switch it may not function propperly as I "think" the V notch piece also changed. I could be wrong but just beware of this if the switch does not seeem to work.

Back