Logo

Shift cable working backwards

calvin

"I have a new to me 76' 75

"I have a new to me 76' 75hp evinrude every thing is great it purs like a kitten, but the shift cable is working backwards exp. I thottle forward it shifts to reverse, I thottle back (like to reverse in normaly) it shifts forward. It seems there is no other way to hook up the linkage at the cables motor end, and the control box works the cables well all seems to be hooked up right. I dont know who has been into the lower unit or control box, but I'm almost sure this is the orig. control box. Any suggestions??
Thanks,
Calvin"

It has the wrong lower unit in

It has the wrong lower unit installed.There was a difference in the later motors. You need to visit a shop that can install the later motor linkages on yours.

"Thanks, I found that today it

"Thanks, I found that today its the later lower unit. will the water pump be turning the right direction if I fabricate a shifter myself? I have dumped alot of money in this. But I think this unit will work even though the shift rod works backwards, and it might even have a higher rating. If I run my own shifter and make sure it is shifting properly and wont jump out, would I be hurting any of the lower unit gears running it this way?
Thanks so much you guys know your stuff!!
Calvin Brewer"

"Hi Calvin,
Don't bothe

"Hi Calvin,
Don't bother with trying to fabricate the shifter. Simply replace the bellcrank that operates the shifter (stainless, L-shaped arm under the bottom carb), as well as the pivot arm and linkage that the shift cable end anchors to. I've done a couple of these retrofits and they work just fine if you swap those parts off a later motor (1977 or newer).
- Scott"

You need to visit a dealer.The

You need to visit a dealer.The correct parts are not expensive and will save you in the long run.As for the higher rating??? I don't think so.

Driveshaft/waterpump rotation

Driveshaft/waterpump rotation DOES NOT change.Where are you located??

"Hot Springs AR. thanks for th

"Hot Springs AR. thanks for the info, its hard to find even though I'm in lake town. I work in auto and hydralic parts and when I've asked my local marine guys for info (whom I help everyday with thier parts)it's like a bottle without an opener. SO is ole' chinewalker saying I will have to change a cam in my control box to work the other direction as well? OR is the upgrade/modification only at the powerhead on the motor.
Calvin"

Change the linkages at the MOT

Change the linkages at the MOTOR.After you are done you will say "that was easy"

If any one has any sierra or o

If any one has any sierra or omc #'s on the pieces I need to change it over would be much helpfull! I talked with my local guys today and they are no help at all.
Thanks
Calvin Brewer

"It is one of the most common

"It is one of the most common complains, "dealer will not help me ".Sad,sad and pityfull.If i get time later today i will post those #'s"

Why not see if you can look it

Why not see if you can look it up yourself on the evinrude or johnson web sites.Compare parts from the 76 and the 82 3 cylinder 70hp.

"Calvin, if you visit the evin

"Calvin, if you visit the evinrude website you can compare parts on various years.The switch was made during the 1975 run on the 70hp models. You may in fact have an "earlier " bottom end. Check it out."

Back