Logo

Shift cable possibly

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
ok so I did a continuity check

ok so I did a continuity check on the switch with my ohm meter and is never breaks the circuit no matter what I do it stays closed so no my ? is where do I get one I can't seem to find one on here anywhere???

"ok here is the switch I need,

"ok here is the switch I need, part number 18, but this was under the pic

18 39670A28 SWITCH ASSEMBLY, CUT-OUT This Part is No Longer Available

"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
171395.png"" alt=""

"If your shift interrupt cable

"If your shift interrupt cable is closed circuit all the time your engine should not run or start at all. I wonder if the wiring to the switch is disconnected somewhere, possibly by someone else when they found out the switch was shot. If the switch is not in the circuit that would certainly explain difficulty shifting out of gear.

Try several aftermarket marine outfits to see if you can find the switch. I know they are available with some searching. Try ebay also.

Rod"

John:

Did you remove the wi

John:

Did you remove the wires to test continuity on the switch? Best way! If the switch pushbutton does not move in/out the internal spring is broken. The black wire goes to ground and the other wire (gray ?) connects to the gray neg. coil wire circuit. Check for continuity between the "other" wire and the neg. side of coil. If it was cut you only need to replace the switch and run a 16 ga. gray wire to the neg. side of coil.

Here is the mercuiser replacement assy. from this site: 864363A1 Insert in Engine Parts above. Just clip the plug off and ground one side and connect the other.

One thing you can do is look for a microswitch mfg. and see if there is a direct replacement. See if there is a mfg. and part number on the switch.

"Right. Micro switches are fai

"Right. Micro switches are fairly generic - look in WW Grainger catalog or a local electronics parts house for one like it or similar that you can modify. Likely Merc used an off-the-shelf switch. You might even be able to take the old switch apart, clean the contacts, whatever, and get it going. Some were assembled with screws in the old days. If rivets you can file off one flange and solder back, or use copper wire and solder to reassemble. Not as hard as it sounds - have done it several times to similar switches.
Good luck. JW in Dixie"

Found this online - Grainger c

Found this online - Grainger catalog. Might work.
6X685 micro switch Z15GW2-B7-K. $9.14. If you have a buddy who owns a business you can get a discount. (Tried to post a pix but no go)

"John, did you check to see if

"John, did you check to see if it a direct fit or will some mod be necessary? Besides having to solder wires, I mean? JW in Dixie"

Back