Logo

shift and trottle control

doc_2048

I own a 1977 19 ft Glasply with a merc 140 hp 3.0 l gm merc I/O.
I would like to upgrade the shift and throttle control. It is a side mount. I see a few available and claim to work on inboard and outboards. Can I keep my old cables and they don't specify if I can use my two wire setup for the in gear kill switch.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I own a 1977 19 ft Glasply with a merc 140 hp 3.0 l gm merc I/O.
I would like to upgrade the shift and throttle control. It is a side mount. I see a few available and claim to work on inboard and outboards. Can I keep my old cables and they don't specify if I can use my two wire setup for the in gear kill switch.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Ayuh,..... The shift switch is back by the motor, nothin' to do with the controller,....
The 2 wire switch in the controller is the neutral safety switch,...

Most, but not all controllers are Merc adaptable,....
Whether yer old cables will work/ are still good, it oughta adapt,...

Donno what yer lookin' at, so it's hard to say,...

Hey doc, I kind of went through similar circumstances. First of all, maybe put the boat in neutral position, remove keys, take the controller, the cable and wires off at the helm. Next, take the throttle and shift cable off of engine under doghouse. (pay attention to the way they are routed) You may have to use a fish in the worst scenario. Don't know what kind of lay out that you have so like Bondo stated above, it is kind of tough to help with that. Look at the cables really carefully, look for numbers. Hopefully, you will find teleflex with a cable identification number. You may need to wipe the casings off if there is oil and grime on the old ones so as to be able to read them. There are other cable manufacturers. Can't remember them off hand. Sorry. But not to worry, google Teleflex marine. They are located in Limerick Pa. Get the phone number off of the site. I think it is there headquarters. Ask for technical assistance. Give them all the numbers you get from the old cables even if it is not a teleflex product. Give them the make, year of boat, length, I/O just so they can narrow things down if you can't find numbers on casing. Not to worry, there is a formula on the site of the teleflex retailers for steering cables but not sure about the control cable part. I am sure there is a way of measuring but it has been a while so I cannot remember how that works. The guy at Teleflex was really helpful when I called. He should give you all and any information you need to get it right the first time around. You have to make sure you get the right length cables. Also, the cable must be compatible with the controller you pick. He will suggest all of this to you. Cables can't be too long or not too short just in case there are no numbers on the casing and you have to try and measure. I'm pretty sure you would have to measure the (casing) end to end but don't hold me to that. Like I said it has been a few years. Anyway, they do not sell to the public so you will have to find a marine retailer online that carries your needs. I guess this site sells boat parts as well so keep that in mind also. Ok, said enough but have already been where you are and if I can, will do anything I can to try and help guide you through the job. Best of luck, Tom P.S. You will probably have to go through an adjustment procedure after installation of upper shift cable. Someone else on this site should be able to help you with that. You will see.

thanks guys for the reply. I have been putting a rebuilt engine in th boat and busy with spring stuff too.
Yes the two wire neural switch is the one. Going to be checking online for new controller soon. Teleflex s one I will start at.

Back