Logo

Sherwood RWP need to change inlet direction

bobct

Advanced Contributor
"I'm changing all my hoses

"I'm changing all my hoses and couldn't cancel my order in time to get the formed hose going from the water pump (coolant) to H/E.

The new hose is now partially in the way of the one the runs from RWP to the oil cooler. It fits, but the two hoses are touching and the smaller one is probably compressed by 10%.

Does anyone know what size/thread the nipples are on the raw water pumps? Mine has a 45 and a straight connection. I need to change the straight one to a 45 or something in between.

For some reason, the starboard engine already has two 45's which I found strange.

Can I pick up a fitting at Home Depot?

thanks,
Bob"

"1" NPT, all the approved

"1" NPT, all the approved fittings are bronze. I find 3 different fittings: there is a short, straight (97852) , there is a short 90 (97854), and there is a tall 90 (97853). I've never seen ref to any 45's. The straight fitting goes onto the normal rotation engine. Both engines get the long 90, the short 90 goes to the reverse rotation. You can get by with using bronze loose HW and making these up; though I'd recommend you do NOT attach hose to a threaded pipe end."

"Dave - that makes sense and n

"Dave - that makes sense and now I know why the other engine if different. I meant to type "90", not 45. A 45 would be ideal but I can get away w/ a 90 degree.

I believe my port engine is a normal rotation (looking at the flywheel it rotates counter-clockwise).

That has a "90" which connects to the raw water intake and a straight (the problem) which goes up to the oil cooler.

It's about 3/4" of inch too close now either because of the hose routing and/or new hose being slighter thicker.

I'll see if I can pick up a 90 degree bronze fitting at HD, otherwise I'll order (thanks for the part #'s).

Bob"

"The formed, coolant hose is a

"The formed, coolant hose is a bit thinner in that area. Even so, mine touch. Some amount of deflection will not be a problem. A marine store, even West, will have a better selection of bronze. A marine salvage shop will have it for 1/2 the cost."

I am not sure I remember this

I am not sure I remember this correctly but I had to buy the short bronze ell that comes off the e35 sherwood pump .. I believe I paid near $30.00 for that little thing

I'd be surprised if you fi

I'd be surprised if you fit bronze at HD in 1" NPT.

Those hose-to-pipe fittings are very compact and not too common. I'd go to a large plumbing supply house with crossed fingers first and then order if they couldn't provide what you need.

I went to HD and a good plumbi

I went to HD and a good plumbing supply place but no luck. I think the Osco exh manifold elbows are the same size. I just happened to have one and eye-balled it.

The oil cooler line is slightly compressed which is bugging me. I might wait until spring and see how it does under load and then add the elbow if I need to.

Bob

Those are some whacky fitings

Those are some whacky fitings on the u-cooler. Like a baloney sliced 45 degree elbow ... The short and tall 90 ell on the water pump. It is like those text books that apply to a very few students in school so you pay $100 for a 7.00 book because they only print 1000 copies.

I have a source if you need it Bob...

"Al - if you have a potential

"Al - if you have a potential source for a 45 degree instead of 90, that would be ideal. I'm almost positive that the Osco manifold elbows will fit if anyone needs a 90 degree at a reasonable cost."

Back