Logo

Seems like shifter is going to come off..............

james_taylor

Contributing Member
Greetings everyone,

Read a older post where Guy said that there was a set screw at the bottom of the control handle.
Could it be that simple?

It is a 1988 Chris Craft Sea Hawk, with 305 4 brl.

I believe that it is the standard shifter. Lock at the top, trim up and down just below that. Trailer button a bit further down and the throttle button at the bottom.

I have a Seloc manual, however it shows an older and different model than mine.
Any advice or suggestions would be great.
Even better drawings so i can figure it out.

Thanks to all that reply.
James

There is a set screw but I ended up replacing mine with a newer style remote. If you arent careful you will strip the aluminum splines in the handle. If you feel along the very bottom of the shift handle you will feel a hole and I believe it is a 3/16 Allen screw to tighten it back up

Thanks Concord.
That is what was happening.
Taking your advice I ever so gently snugged up this set screw.
Only had to snug it a bit. Hard to believe that much would make that much difference.

Thank you again for your assistance.
Take care,
James:cool:

Guy.....I wondered about the Blue Loctite.
Before I add this drop of "blue glue" is there any lubrication or anything else I should check?
I ask as while underway in rougher water, the throttle backs off a bit. Seems like it (shifter) could be a bit tighter to allow it to hold one speed.
I guess if it was too snug, then shifting would be difficult.
Advice....
James

Before I add this drop of "blue glue"...

Use a 1/2 drop no more larger than a matchhead from a book of matches.

Seems like it (shifter) could be a bit tighter to allow it to hold one speed.

Look for big slotted (flatblade) screw heads on the left or maybe right sides. That is the tension adjustment on a Commander shifter. In order to lube the inside you almost need to take it apart. Not recommended. It then can be a nightmare reassembling it. There are a couple of cams inside that still should have a little grease left on them. You can give the cable side of the shifter a squirt of WD-40 pointing from the 3:00 position to the 9:00 position.

Last edited:
Thanks Guy. Will investigate further.
Will be carefull with knowledge so as not to open a can of worms.
Take care and happy boating.
James

Back