Logo

Seattle area, aq131d head repair/replacement

TerryGerm

I have an aq131d which has died by blowing out the #1 cylinder exhaust flange on the head. It is deemed non repairable with the insert ring fix so I am looking at options. #1 have the exhaust flange on the head welded up and resurfaced. #2 Find a new/remanufactured head. #3 talk the wife into a new boat.

I feel all is well with this engine so I am looking to get it going again. Does anyone have knowledge of repair shops in the NW or a good source of replacement head.

Thanks, Terry

The stock head is a 1000531. That head is pretty rare. Another option is a much more common 1000530 head which doesn't breathe quite as well but it will bolt right on and is easy to find. I bought one from a rebuilder in Florida for $300 but I managed to find a 531 head and rebuilt it. I didn't use the 530 head and still have it in case you're interested. It's in excellent shape.

Whatever you do don't buy from a company in Indiana named The Engine Center aka remanufactured.com. I paid them a premium price for a rebuilt engine, they kept my money and over 8 months later they've not delivered. I'm going to have to fight them to get my money and parts back. I'll never again use an out of state rebuilder.

Terry give this guy a shout.

Duane Ranger <[email protected]>

I was emailing him last year he seems to have an abundance of volvo heads.

I hate to give these guys a negative review but I had my head in at Johhny's Autosport for 6 months and they never touched it! I talked to Earl's down on 1st Ave South in Seattle and they said for ~$200 they could recondition my OHC head. I'm not sure if the AQ131 is OHC or OHV but it won't cost more than that. And they said they could do it quickly.

Curious where you got a local guy with the insert fix tool? Got a name and contact info?

Back