Logo

Sealants adhesives etc

james_taylor

Contributing Member
"Good morning all,
I am about

"Good morning all,
I am about to tackle the bellows, water pump and shifter lever seals in my 1988 Chris Craft Sea Hawk (305 w/4 brl).
What lubrications, sealants, adhesives, etc will I need for this job.
I have bellows adhesive and silicone grease already.
Thanks for all your input.
Bottoms up,
James"

"Container of Marine grease&#4

"Container of Marine grease(splines on shaft, o-rings etc.)
Grease gun with marine grease. (u-joints grease fittings around transom)
Bellows adhesive (seal main bellows, holds other seals in place during assembly)
Anti-seeze compund for threads.
parts and gaskets, seals
Tool for removing pivot pin
manuel
Ther ya go, others may want to add to list
Chris"

James
I would use the bellow

James
I would use the bellows adheasive on all the bellows as per manufactuers specs.
With the anti/never sieze compounds make sure you DO NOT use one of the copper based ones.
Cheers
Peter C

"Peter,
Why not use the coppe

"Peter,
Why not use the copper based anti-seize compounds?
Is it a corrosion/galvanic issue?
Don't worry, I plan on using the bellows adhesive on all the bellows. The boat is high and dry now, so like they say "work smarter - not harder"!!!!
Bottoms up,
James"

"James
You have it right in 1

"James
You have it right in 1.
It is a corrosion/galvanic issue. You dont use it for the same reason that you dont use copper based antifouling on your aluminium legs.
On the issue of the adheasive and in general repairs to your stern drive and bellows, there is an old saying that carpenters use which is measure twice and cut once. In other words do it right the first time so you wont have to do it again.
There is a fair bit of time involved in a bellows job but if it takes you twice as long as you think to do the job to 110% then it is time well spent.
Cheers
Peter C"

"Peter,
Project is done. All

"Peter,
Project is done. All 3 bellows. Took a bit longer than it probably should have, but I am happy with the work. Like you said.....measure twice and cut once.
I am going to start a new post about a cooling issue the boat has now developed.
Thanks for your help.
Bottoms up,
James"

Back