Logo

Sealant for welch plug

PhilSch

Regular Contributor
Cleaning 1994 Johnson 48SPL carbs. Is there any acceptable substitutes for Gasoila when sealing welch plugs? I'm thinking bearing retaining compound might do the trick but not certain it can withstand California's ethanol gas

Can't you get non oxy there? I seal with a little dab of JB quik weld over the top....If you ever need to remove it you can chip it off. It looks nice too....gives a great professional appearance.

Tim...I sure wish I could get non oxy but I live in Commie Fornia. Local oil distributor just gave me two nice 55 gal drums so next time I have a need to go to Reno I will fill them up with the good stuff for all my boat and small motor needs. Since no one responded right away my impatient self installed the plugs dry. I think they will be ok.....hopefully ;)

Good idea, Pappy....but I like hot pink, my wife doesn't even notice. "Commie fornia"....ha! Is it really that bad?.....Guess I wouldn't know, haven't been there since 2004. So holy crap.....what you supposed to burn in your 68 Chevy truck? I got enough problems, sure don't need ethanol....unless it's in my whiskey, where it belongs.

Last edited:
Back