Logo

Salt Water exposed engine

Lucky Duck

8/11/20 I have recently purchased a boat with a 2014 Mercrusier 350 Mpi Bravo Engine in it. The motor and stern drive have only 8 hours on them having been installed new in 2014. There is two years left on the warrenty.

The boat was partially submerged (stern area, it partially fell off lift, just the stern area) in salt water during Hurricane Dorian. No remedial work was done on it until now, some 11 months without repairs. It just sat in the lift. It appears the rear, lower portion of the engine was exposed to salt water (say no more than 4 inches) as well as the port side battery, port side power trim and tilt system and battery switch on the starboard side, stern wall. The boat itself had only minor damage; bow rails and windshield.

My questions are as follows:
1. What moving parts were exposed to salt water that are at the base, rear of the engine; say 4 inches of salt water? Once identified, what parts do you suggest replacing or can I expect to replace near term?
2. What can I do to the salt water exposed area of the engine to mitigate future rusting/ repairs?
3. Assumning the Power Trim and Tilt System is self contained (it still works); can I expect issues as to electrical or whatever?
4. After replacing the batteries and battery switch, I still can not turn the starter over and none of my accessories work. Any initial thoughts?

I think the phrase is 'had a warranty'....

the lack of electrical function could be due to badly corroded battery cable(s)....especially is the water sat in the hull for months....

Thanks for the responses. The former owner held it for some 11 months without action. The salt water exposure appears to be just in the rear, lower part of the engine. Only the stern, say 2' up the boat; it stern dived off the lift. I note the starboard side battery was not exposed to salt water but the battery switch on the starboard stern wall was coroded to the point of being disguarded. I think the Starter is the only part at issue currently. The Power Trim/Tilt System currently works. I am to test the circuit breakers today to see if that is the issue as to the accessories not working. I note that sufficient power is going to the fuse block. The batteries are new. The boat itself is prisetine for its age; well taken care of prior to the storm. Only the windsheld (I have part) and one side of bow rails need repair.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited:
Anything connected to a battery that went under it trash, switches cables wiring etc. Also if the water level was above the drives inputshaft you have/had water in the main bellow and the drive bay also be trash. Before turning the motor ,pull the sparkplugs checking for any water. Can also use a thin plastic hose inserted into the plug hole to try and draw and water sample.If any is found the motor is trash
Get it on a trailer or blocks and remove the drive for inspection or replacement

Back