Logo

Salt Water destroyed my engine. Quuestions.

So my Yamaha 2002 90TLR is basically worthless now I think. I had low compression, took the head off and cylinders 2 and 3 have damage to the sleeves. The water passages on the side of those cylinders are completely blocked up with salt deposits. I do flushes after but I don't know how much the owner did before me. I'm assuming my only option now is new power head or rebuild. Usually people say it's not worth it but it's nearly impossible to buy a new motor right now though i'm willing to, I can't find one.

Question: I always worried that the motor would overheat due to oil mixing or something else, and it finally happened without any warnings going off or anything. The top cylinder where the thermostat is near has no buildup and still has great compression. Did the warning not go off because the thermostat area wasn't overheating?

If I would have taken this to a professional for a yearly checkup, would they have been able to catch this? The only way I feel like you would know before damage starts is to take the head off and I didn't know if that was routine or just done when a problem is detected.

I now worry about my jet ski that I bought used and the owner also didn't do flushes often. I have had no problems but wondering if I should do something like muratic acid to break down what MIGHT be in there.

2 different alarms can be triggered….high temp and low oil. 1 triggered alarm does not cause the other alarm to trigger since the cooling system and oil system are not related.

If the high temp alarm did not trigger prior to engine overheat then it’s likely the high temp alarm system is buggered…such as a bad ground wire, bad thermosensor, etc. Or it could be as simple as the alarm system isn’t hooked up.

Back