Logo

rust on riser elbows

nightstalker

Regular Contributor
I've got some rusty looking discoloration (a half inch or so) on both of my 454's risers near the bottom of the elbow. The risers were replaced in 2007 (165 hours ago). The previous owner showed me documentation from the marine mechanic that the work was done as he said. Is this unusual? 1990, 454's, 350 HP.
Nightstalker

Ayuh,... They should be pulled,+ Inspected every other year...
Usually, the expected life is 5 to 8 years, Tops...

If you're gettin' leakage to the outside, they're probably leakin' Into your motor as well...

Ayuh,... They should be pulled,+ Inspected every other year...
Usually, the expected life is 5 to 8 years, Tops...

If you're gettin' leakage to the outside, they're probably leakin' Into your motor as well...

OK, that's what I'll do.
Thanks,
Nightstalker

Frankly, I've yet to see a pair of old (meaning in service a year or more) manifolds without rust on them somewhere, especially at the gasket joints. One removes the paint to install the gasket, and moisture seeps underneath the paint where the bare metal is.

One of these days I'm going to try leaving the paint on and putting the gasket on top.

Jeff

OEM risers don't last 5 years in salt. Replace every 4. Expect some rusting around the edges, there is either seeping along the face or the gasket is actually somewhat porous, not sure what is going on, but it is "normal", predicatable, suboptimum behavior. NOT having bare iron in the area helps, as does coating the gaskets with RTV.

Back