Logo

runs out of gas

jerry101

Contributing Member
i have a 1979 evinrude 6 hsp outboard model #6905e serial # j0001151 the other day i took the boat out ,the motor was running fine until i burned about a gallon of gas ,and the motor stopped, so i tilted the gas tant to where you fill it up and motor ran fine.could anybody here tell me why this will happen,does it mean i wasn't getting enough air ? what should i do to recify this problem ? thanks for your help...

Hello there,

Is your gas tank vented? It sounds like maybe it was sealed up and the motor could not get any more fuel out of it... check you vent tube to ensure that its clear if you have one..

-tim

Hello there,

Is your gas tank vented? It sounds like maybe it was sealed up and the motor could not get any more fuel out of it... check you vent tube to ensure that its clear if you have one..

-tim
checked the vent ,and its o.k. no vent tube,could it be something else ?

Check the fuel tank pick-up tube inside the tank.----------On some tanks these tubes are nothing short of garbage !

You didn't say how much gas was left in the tank when your problem occurred. I know when I get down to my last couple of quarts, I always tilt my tank towards the gas cap side because that is where my tanks pickup line is situated. There is a lot of movement in a boat and that gas will be sloshing around considerably and I like to do my best to ensure that the pickup line is submerged in fuel at all times.

Could be a weak fuel pump check to see the screws holding it on are tight. If you decide to rebuild it be real careful taking it apart take pics as you do so you can put it back together correct. On a clean bench lay it out in order you took it apart paying close attention to springs and small parts. Replace the fuel lines when you install it. A quick flow test is to disconnect the fuel line at the carb and pump the primer you should get a nice easy flow of fuel out the fuel line to the carb.

will check that to see if it makes a difference,thanks

Many 6-gallon fuel tanks have a ridge in the bottom of the tank that serves to create a reserve of fuel. When the side where the pick-up is runs out of fuel there is still fuel on the other side of the ridge.....just tilt the tank towards the pick-up side and that fuel becomes available. It's about the simplest reserve system you can have. And, many people don't even know about it! Sounds exactly like what you are seeing.

Many 6-gallon fuel tanks have a ridge in the bottom of the tank that serves to create a reserve of fuel. When the side where the pick-up is runs out of fuel there is still fuel on the other side of the ridge.....just tilt the tank towards the pick-up side and that fuel becomes available. It's about the simplest reserve system you can have. And, many people don't even know about it! Sounds exactly like what you are seeing.
the tank still had about two gallons of fuel left in the tank when the engine stopped running........

Back