Logo

Run with water hose only

BenC

Must be easy to answer but for some reason I can't find it on the net...

Can I run my outboard (1987 Evinrude 50HP) cooled with muffin/water hose outside the water on full throttle for 5-10 minutes or so?

Or will this cool just enough to run on idle? Need to do some test runs on full throttle out of the water...

I can only tell you what the manual for my '66 60hp says:

"Never, again never, operate the engine at high speed with a flush device attached. The engine, operating at high speed with such a device attached and would run-a-way from lack of a load on the propeller, causing extensive damage."

The reason being is it uses alot less fuel to run without a load it is exactly like running without oil. You can damage the prop and the possibility of throwing a connecting rod out the side of the engine is there as well. The reason an engine has the shift lock mech is so you cannot go past idle in neutral and you cannot shift out of gear at high speed. There is absolutely no reason to run past high idle out of the water period. Max spark advance is the only adjustment needed to check past high idle speed and must be checked with a load on the prop.

Back