Logo

RPMs Momentary Boost Upon Shift

rmcderm313

Regular Contributor
Hi All,
2001 Yamaha Z175TXRZ HPDI motor. At the end of last year I serviced the shift and throttle cables by running some transmission fluid through the cables with a compressor. Probably not relevant but that is why I disconnected the cables in the first place.

During re-commision this year everything hooked back up as expected and shifting and throttle are working great.

I noticed though that upon shifting from Neutral to either forward or reverse, my RPM's increase for just a moment. They go from say 700 to 1,200. Just for half as second and then settle back to 700. I'm pretty sure that didn't happen before, but it's possible I just never noticed.

I've watched the throttle linkage carefully during the shift operating and nothing is moving on shift. The butterflies are not opening at all, at least from the view I have.
It appears to happen at the exact time that the shift position switch arm moves (when the slider moves out from in front of the switch).

Is this normal? Is the ECM boosting the RPM's to assist with the shift? I'm hoping this was always the case and I just hadn't noticed, but it stood out to me enough that I don't think it was the case before.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Rob
PS - The compressor-ATF fluid service on the cables worked great and they are very smooth now, aside from this issue if there is one.

Back