Logo

RPM problem solved

madmaxum

"I posted earlier about my 5.7

"I posted earlier about my 5.7 merc not being able to go above 4,000 rpm's. My initiual thought was fuel, e-10. When I had it winterized the spark plugs were changed. Last night I had a thought and opened the engine cover, felt under the manifold and sure enough one of the plug wires was off. Running on 7 cylinders will keep it from reaching top every time!"

"Running on 7 cylinders wi

"Running on 7 cylinders will keep it from reaching top every time!"

Pfffft! That's just an old wives' tale. Try running on five.

Amazing how those pesky plug wires jump off.

Don't insult the guy! I h

Don't insult the guy! I had a couple of wires crossed and couldn't tell because marine inboards like mine are hard mounted. A car engine would have shook like mad and altered me.

Jeff

"Who's insulting anyone? I

"Who's insulting anyone? I've seen wires that slid off, inserts that disconnected from the wire, new coil wires that worked for the initial run and failed (new pre-made NAPA wire set) and all kinds of problems.

Some motors make it very plain that they have a problem, some are a lot more subtle. A 5.7L is extremely smooth when everything is right and only slightly lumpy when there's a mild to moderate problem. At idle, an LT-1 marine motor doesn't even start to get rough until you remove 4 or 5 injector plugs when it's mounted on a small steel stand, like the one at Mastercraft training."

"One has to have listened to a

"One has to have listened to a small blocks for a lot of years to tell if a plug wire is off at idle in a boat. It's that, "somethin don't sound quite right feeling"."

Back